Wednesday, March 12, 2014

10th March, RSC, Waterford

Blues 2, Avondale 1 (EA Sports Cup)
Before a small crowd the Blues defeated their MSL opponents to advance to the next round of the EA Sports League Cup at the RSC last Monday night, thanks to two top drawer first half goals.
The visitors actually took the lead after ten minutes when Kevin Burns was beaten with a low drive but Paddy Barrett equalised just two minutes later with a powerful header from a Stephen Kenny right wing free kick. And for the rest of first half the Blues dominated but had to settle for only one more goal, another beauty, when Shaun Corcoran hit a 25 yard low drive to the net.
The second half was end to end stuff and a little scrappy as the changes made disrupted the flow of the game on both sides.
The Blues fielded a much changed side from the one that lined out against Finn Harps. Several of the younger players in the squad made a start and gave a very good account of themselves. The stand-out was Kynan Rocks who tormented the visitors throughout. In a display reminiscent of the departed Sean Maguire he showed his full range of skills and his performance only lacked a goal to round off an impressive outing for the to watch for sure. The down side for him was the 'close attention' he got from several of the Avondale defenders - get used to it Kynan!
Willie John put in a good shift and the signs are that he is getting into shape. He was unlucky not to find the net.
The visitors lost their discipline as the game drew to a close and saw a player red carded in the last  few minutes. That said the referee did not impress - far too card happy. In hindsight he will hope that an inspector was not there to see his performance.

Blues: Kevin Burns, Thomas Whitty, Shaun Corcoran, Paddy Barrett, Patrick Fitzgerald, Conor Coad, Stephen Kenny (Paul Quilty 68), Thomas Croke, Willie John Kiely (Vinny Sullivan 68), Kynan Rocks, Phillip Drohan (Jack Doherty 83). Subs not used: Conor Meade, Gavin O'Donovan, Peter White, Matt Connor.